Poet, Audrey Austin

Poet, Audrey Austin
This site is to honour my mother, poet, Eva Ruby Austin.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Minor Ailments -- a poem by Eva Ruby Austin

MINOR AILMENTS
 
As I was doing Christmas shopping
One bright and sunny day
I came upon an old time friend
Who used to live up my way.
 
We chatted a while on the corner
Then as she turned away
I inquired how her health had been
And then I heard her say ....
 
"I guess there's not much the matter with me,
But I'm not as well as I used to be.
I have the cricks in both of my knees
And when I talk, I talk with a wheeze;
 
My pulse is weak and my blood is thin,
But I'm pretty good for the shape I'm in.
Arch support I have for both my feet
Or I wouldn't be able to go on the street.
 
Sleep is denied me night after night,
And every morning I am a sight,
My memory is failing, my head's in a spin
I spend a lot of money on aspirin.
 
My heart beats fast when I climb the stairs
I take kinks in my knees when I say my prayers;
My teeth are loose, and my feet are sore,
It nearly kills me to walk to the store.
 
But all in all -- I'm not bad you know,
I can walk a mile, if I go right slow,
You asked how I was, so now you know!
Goodbye dear friend, I have to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment